I am Ricky Martin-Gato, the #1 cat fan of my Latin idol, superstar icon Ricky Martin. Just like him, I believe in celebrating those who embrace the spirit of their own uniqueness.
Long before he was livin’ la vida loca, 13-year-old Ricky Martin auditioned to become a member of the boy band Menudo in his native Puerto Rico. After recording a staggering 17 albums in four years with Menudo, Ricky struck out on his own, relocating to Mexico to appear on the telenovela Alcanzar una estrella. In 1990 he began working on his first solo album and the self-titled Spanish-language debut was a huge hit in Latin America. His real breakout came when he was asked to write a song for the 1998 World Cup. The tune, La Copa de la Vida, was an international chart topper, making Ricky Martin’s eighth album Vuelve a global smash and garnering him a Grammy nomination. His first English-language album, Ricky Martin and the now legendary single, Livin’ la Vida Loca, sparked a Latin pop frenzy in the U.S.—which is still going strong today—paving the way for stars like J.Lo, Enrique Iglesias, Pitbull, and Shakira (just to name a few).
Read Related: A Brief History of Hot, Hot, Hot Latino Leading Men
He can sing, he can dance, he can write, and he cares. His 2010 autobiography, Me, was a New York Times bestseller and he just penned a children’s book called Santiago the Dreamer in Land Among the Stars. His non-profit Ricky Martin Foundation fights human trafficking and “advocates for the well-being of children around the world”.
Taking a cue from my idol’s humanitarian efforts, I am a tireless cativist. I spend my days raising awareness and tolerance for the underserved feline LGBT community.
What Makes Ricky Martin-Gato Purr
- The Livin’ la Vida Loca line—”She’s into superstitions…Black cats and voodoo dolls”—always makes me smile.
- A good chin scratching is soooo relaxing.
- I’m ashamed to say, I get a huge kick out of scaring my owner by teetering precariously on the second floor banister.
- I can watch Oliver & Company over and over—it always makes me cry!
What Gets Ricky Martin-Gato’s Dander Up
- I despise discrimination and bullying of any kind.
- Irresponsible owners who don’t spay or neuter their pets! We’ve got too many homeless kittens and not enough shelters.
- I’m really not sure about the new tabby my owner just adopted—he makes me uneasy.
- The smell of fear that lingers inside my cat carrier.
Celeb-Gatos at Gatoverse is a creative way to pay homage to our Hispanic idols by harnessing the cuteness of kitty cats everywhere. We purr, we roar, we matter! Follow @Mamiverse and @Gatoverse for more info.