Soledad O’Brien’s new CNN morning show, Starting Point, debuts Monday, January 2 from 7-9am (ET) where she will be reporting live from the Iowa Caucuses.
Instead of asking the usual questions about this exciting new venture and her illustrious career, we came up with 20 questions to help us learn more about what makes this dynamic journalist tick.
1. What is your personal motto?
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. What living person do you most admire?
4. What trait do you deplore in others?
5. What’s the best thing about being a mom?
6. What is the most overrated thing about being a mom?
Pasta art. After you’ve framed your tenth picture made from macaroni it loses a bit of its charm!
7. Do you believe in miracles? Briefly explain.
Yes, Rushing my son to the emergency room with a seizure when he was a toddler, I remember being amazed that paramedics were IN my lobby (how’d they get in?). And the miracle of kindness—an ER doctor who walked us through what was happening, at every step. And encouraged us to call him from home when he was released.
8. What do you value in your friends?
Generosity, loyalty, love.
9. What is your most treasured possession?
10. What was the last tiff with your husband about?
Who had the better physical. He won on the stress test but my heart scan was excellent!
11. What was the wisest thing anyone ever told you?
It’s easy to get distracted by small annoyances, but then you’ll stray from your purpose. Don’t lose sight of the goal.
12. Which are you: Dorothy, Blanche, Rose, or Sophia?
Closest to Dorothy, though I love all of them.
13. Three words that best capture what you do?
Give people voice.
14. Which two historical figures would be your dream interviews?
I’m in Buenos Aires today so I’d say Eva Peron. And Abraham Lincoln. Want to ask him all about meeting with Frederick Douglass to discuss slavery!?
15. What was the last thing that really made you laugh?
My kids. At dinner. Last night.
16. Would the people who best know you say you were a good dancer?
Mmmm. They’d say “enthusiastic!”
17. Which are you: Plate Spinner, Lion Tamer, Ring Leader, or Trapese Artist?
Trapeze Artist. Because I feel like I constantly walk a tightrope—trying to make complicated moves seem simple and smiling all the while! I think that describes every mom!
18. What was the last movie you saw that made you cry?
French Film: The Hedgehog. Absolutely beautiful film.
19. Who is the most confident person you know?
My daughter Cecilia!
20. How would you like to be remembered?
As a parent who tried to expose her kids to the wonderful opportunities of America, and the incredible potential of human beings around the globe. As a journalist who tried to bring other voices into the mix to be heard.