National Lasagna Day may be over but it doesn’t mean you can’t try another great variation on this classic recipe. Celebrity chef Rachael Ray reconfigures the basic concept of lasagna with a mexican flare by adding hominy (posole). Flour tortillas replace the traditional pasta layers and a tomatillo sauce is used instead of marinara. Your family will be impressed and may never go back to that other lasagna again.
Read Related: Eva Longoria’s Lasagna Mexican-Style
PoSOLE MEXICAN LASAGNA
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds ground pork
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground coriander
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can hominy
1 large red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
2 jalapeño or serrano peppers, chopped
12 large tomatillos (14-16 if small), peeled & coarsely chopped
Handful of cilantro or parsley leaves
2 Tbsp honey
1 package large flour tortillas
1 pound Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
Sour cream, to serve at table
1. Place rack in oven in middle of oven and heat broiler or place oven on 400 degrees F.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan, in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and crumble up as it browns. While pork browns, season the meat with cumin, coriander and salt and pepper. Once browned evenly, stir in hominy and reduce heat to simmer.
3. While meat cooks heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauce pot, add onions, garlic and peppers, season with salt and pepper and sauté until softened 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Place tomatillos and cilantro or parsley in food processor and process until almost smooth. Pour into onion and garlic mixture and simmer to mellow, 5 to 6 minutes more.
5. Replace the processor bowl. Pit and scoop the avocado flesh into the processor, add the lime zest and juice. Add the honey, puree until smooth and season with a little salt.
6. Stir the avocado mixture into the green sauce and remove from heat.
7. Char all of the tortillas over an open flame or in dry hot skillet.
8. In a baking dish layer sauce, tortilla, meat, cheese, tortilla, sauce, meat, cheese, etc. End with a layer of tortilla, sauce and finally cheese.
9. Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 4 to 5 minutes until bubbly and cheese is brown.
10. Server with sour cream.