Breakfast is not only the most important meal of the day, but it’s also my favorite. I feel that a good breakfast sets the tone of your day so I try to make it festive, fun and with lots and lots of spice.
Sunny side up eggs, or huevos estrellados is one of the best protein-packed breakfasts you can enjoy in order to tackle what the day has in store for you. I like to sit my sunny side up egg on a crispy tostada, dress it up with a street-taco habanero-style salsa and a side of creamy black beans to tame the heat. Let’s not forget a nice cup of piping hot café con leche for the finishing touch.
Read Related: Salted Cod Hash with Scrambled Eggs
SALSA FOR ALL SEASONS
The salsa in this recipe is a wonderful complement to the egg because the habanero chile can pack a punch but is balanced out by the creamy egg yolk. Don’t limit this salsa to your breakfast. Pour it on your tacos, quesadillas, soups and stews for added heat and flavor. I like to prepare a large amount of this salsa and freeze it in batches for any flavor emergency needs.
TOSTIHUEVOS EN SALSA TAQUERA
For the Salsa:
4 Roma tomatoes
¼ onion, chopped
3 cups water
1 habanero chile, deveined and seeded
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. canola oil
For the Eggs & Beans:
2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/3 onion, sliced in rounds
1-1/3 cup black beans, cooked
1 Tbsp. cotija cheese, crumbled
For the Salsa:
1. In a large saucepan, boil tomatoes in water until skins begin to peel off; approximately 10 minutes.
2. In a blender, blend boiled tomatoes, onion, habanero chile, salt and pepper.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil and carefully pour salsa into pan. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
4. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the Eggs:
1. Heat ½ tablespoon in small frying pan over medium heat. Crack one egg into pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. For a more firm egg, cook for 1-2 minutes more.
2. Repeat with the rest of the eggs.
3. Heat black beans in a medium saucepan over medium heat. About 5 minutes.
1. Place tostada on a plate and carefully place a fried egg on the tostada.
2. Top with salsa, onion and chopped cilantro.
3. Serve with a side of black beans and a sprinkle of Cotija cheese.
4. Repeat with the rest of the eggs.