Scrambled eggs (revueltos), which are often combined with all sorts of vegetables and meats and are very popular in bars in Spain served as a tapa or as a main meal.
Since it’s asparagus season, Revuelto de Esparragos Trigueros would be the choice of the moment. Trigueros are wild asparagus mostly found in Northern Spain and they are thinner and longer than regular asparagus. If you can’t find them in the market, just go with regular asparagus which are just as delicious.
Not only is asparagus a low calorie food at only 26 calories per cup, but those dainty stalks are also loaded with vitamins and minerals. They described as having anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anticancer benefits, provide digestive support, regulate blood sugar, and maintain heart health.
Read Related: Sautéed Scallions with Mushrooms
This spring dish was what my abuelita used to serve many a night for dinner. A delicious combination of protein, vitamins and minerals. People tend to think about healthy foods as boring and bland but this healthy recipe is anything but bland as it is savory and slightly sweet with a Spanish kick!
SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH ASPARAGUS (REVUELTO DE ESPARRAGOS)
Yield: 6-7 servings
Time: 20 minutes
1 lb wild or green asparagus
4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ TSP sweet Spanish paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse asparagus under cold water.
- Cut off hard ends of stalks.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add asparagus and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Allow to cool.
- Once the asparagus stalks are cool, cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in pan and sauté garlic.
- Add asparagus and salt and brown in pan.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with paprika and pour into pan with the asparagus and garlic.
- Lower heat and stir mixture.
- Scramble, while cooking, until eggs are done.
- Slide the mixture onto a plate and serve.
- Add pepper to taste.
Note: This dish goes well with a fresh, simple salad of lettuce, tomato and onion. Enjoy this delicious, light meal any time of day to celebrate the arrival of spring and the season of fresh asparagus!