You can switch up this colorful dish to suit you and your kids’ specific needs. Leave out the Greek yogurt for a dairy-free pesto and try So Delicious Almond Milk instead; the cashews will also lend a naturally creamy taste and texture. Try arugula instead of baby spinach, or yellow and red bell peppers for orange peppers.
CREAMY SPINACH RED RICE PESTO
1 cup uncooked red rice
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 lb asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, peeled
2/3 cup cashews, toasted, plus more for serving
¾ TSP sea salt
½ TSP freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup Greek plain yogurt
1 orange bell pepper, diced
4 chives, finely chopped
1. Cook rice according to package instructions.
2. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a large pot over medium heat. Add spinach and asparagus in batches, cover and steam for 1 minute or until bright green and crunchy.
3. Drain spinach and asparagus in a colander. Repeat with remaining spinach and asparagus. Set aside.
4. To make the pesto: combine cooked spinach, asparagus, garlic, cashews, sea salt, pepper and lemon juice in a food processor. Drizzle in olive oil and Greek plain yogurt; pulse until smooth.
5. Toss cooked red rice with the pesto mixture. Thin with warm water for desired consistency.
6. Serve topped with diced orange bell pepper and chives.