May 6 is National Beverage Day. We happen to love this national “holiday” because beverages just so happen to be one of our specialties! While those kinds of cocktails are not part of the recommended 3 liters of fluid per day for men and 2.2 for women, we’re still excited about it because we are in the middle of a little love affair with our juicer and those cocktails definitely count! The USDA recommends five servings of fruits and vegetables a day and we’ve found that juicing is a great way to squeeze them in without even trying. To celebrate National Beverage Day, we’re giving you 15 reasons why you need to get a juicer!
Read Related: Liquid Energy: The Benefits of Juice Fasting
1. Juicing is a great way to load up on fruits and vegetables. While the USDA recommends five servings total, The National Cancer Institute tells us that five servings of vegetables and three of fruits each day is what’s optimal for good health and cancer prevention. That said, the average American eats only one and a half servings of vegetables and, on average, no fruit on any given day. Since ketchup doesn’t count as a veggie, juicing is the way to go to do better than average!
2. Fresh juice is a good source of enzymes. In case you haven’t heard, enzymes are awesome. They help you digest your food and get the most nutrition from each and every bite. Fresh fruit and vegetables are packed with enzymes to help your body get the most benefits from every healthy bite you eat.
3. Fruits and vegetables contain phytonutrients which help prevent cancer and are anti-inflammatory. Cancer is the bad guy spreading like wildfire right now. Cases of cancer in men and women of a young age are on the rise and it’s never too early to start fighting against those horrible cells. Phytonutrients in fruits and vegetables are anti-inflammatory, which makes them, basically, anti-cancer since cancer seems to be born in an inflamed system. Even researchers at Stanford support juicing for health!
4. Fruits and vegetables are loaded with antioxidants. Oxidization is essentially the destruction of cells (oil that has oxidized is rancid, so this makes sense). Antioxidants fight the oxidization process, leading to happier, healthier cells!
5. Juicing is a fantastic weight loss tool. Getting an incredible amount of vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants packed into one glass will make you a healthier person from head to toe. Weight loss tends to be a common effect of drinking fresh juice as it improves digestion and provides the body with a much-needed burst of energy that can work to keep away cravings for less healthy foods.
6. Fresh juice makes your complexion glow. A St. Andrews University study determined that consumption of fresh produce improves skin tone and reduces acne. One of the best reasons to drink up, we say!
7. The vitamins from fruits and vegetables can help fight insomnia and headaches. Chronic migraine sufferers have reported almost instantaneous relief after drinking a fruit and veggie packed juice.
8. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables can make you hair grow faster. No need for extensions when your hair is well-nourished and growing like crazy, right?
9. Try an anti aging juice recipe. Those awesome antioxidants also work as anti-aging super agents. Try a recipe packed with specific fruits and vegetables proven to fight the hands of time.
10. Include beets in your juice to boost your brain power. Thanks to a heavy concentration of nitrates, beet juice provides its drinkers with blood flow promoting nitrites. This may lead to a decrease in dementia as well as a decrease in blood pressure. All good things!
11. Juicing with non-starchy vegetables promote healthy and stable blood glucose levels for diabetics. The non-starchy, low-sugar veggies provide great nutrition with a low impact on blood sugar levels making them great for diabetics.
12. Juicing is a great way to get kids to eat fruits and vegetables. Juice is delicious and comes in some pretty cool colors so kids love it. Get your children to consume more fruits and vegetables by juicing. They’ll thank you for it later.
13. Juice with pomegranates to relieve arthritis. The antioxidants in pomegranates have been shown to reduce the incidence and severity of collagen-induced arthritis in mice. There have also been positive results in patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis, which leads researchers to believe pomegranate juice can reduce pain by lessening the inflammatory response.
14. Juicing gives you energy. The vitamins and nutrients in fresh fruit and vegetable juice are delivered to your system super fast thanks to the lack of fiber. This almost instantaneous absorption means a quick, effective energy boost.
15. Juicing hydrates you. bviously. In general, we’re all dehydrated most of the time, even to the point of mistaking thirst for hunger! Drink up and enjoy all the benefits!