Editor’s Note: Today is International Picnic Day. Time to take fabulous food into the great outdoors!
It’s that time of the year when the warm weather calls for spending the day outdoors. This includes dining, and there is no reason to bring the same old finger foods. You can make picnic food more exquisite and exciting even if you are planning to use plastic cutlery and glasses.
Read Related: Chilled Mango & Avocado Soup with Chipotle & Coconut
My friends and I come up with different recipes when we decide to take our dining to a picnic table. Each of us tries to come up with something original to be enjoyed by kids as well as grownups. These two recipes are great for picnics. Easy to prepare and to bring along.
COLD ZUCCHINI SUMMER SOUP
1 cup shallots, thinly sliced.
2 TBSP Extra-Olive Oi
2 lb zucchini, peeled, quartered and sliced thinly.
2 tablespoons lemon zest
Salt and pepper to taste.
2 cups chicken broth.
2 cups water
½ cup fresh parsley
1 TBSP finely chopped dill plus 1 TBSP for garnish.
⅔ cup plain yogurt
- Heat olive oil in large heavy saucepan.
- Cook shallots over medium heat, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, lemon zest, salt, and pepper and cook, until zucchini is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and the water and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool about 5 minutes.
- Add parsley and dill.
- With a hand mixer, or standing blender, purée zucchini mixture until well blended and creamy.
- Transfer to a large soup bowl, cover and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt and place in refrigerator.
- Once cool, stir and place in a large insulated thermos to take along with you to the picnic.
- Serve in glasses or small bowls.
- Garnish with dill.