Lover’s Day is April 23 and we’re excited for this ‘holiday’ based on Spain’s equivalent of Valentine’s Day, St. George’s Day (La Diada de Sant Jordi). While Valentine’s Day is pretty much always about and exclusively for couples in a committed relationship, we like to think of Lover’s Day as Valentine’s naughty stepchild with a sexy side, for the casual but consensual lovers. Here are 15 reasons why casual sex rules and, assuming you’re not in a committed relationship, you should, perhaps, consider partaking in honor of this holiday.
Read Related: Is Not Having Sex Bad for You?
1. It’s just fun. Sex is fun. Casual sex with a new partner is often even more fun as you get to know one another and let loose without strings attached.
2. No commitment, no worries. Relationships are not for everyone and they’re certainly not right during certain times of life. Enjoying sex without commitment and long-term attachment to a partner alleviates stress for those who, for whatever reason, don’t want a committed relationship.
3. It’s a great way to explore your sexuality. Learn new things! Explore alternative positions! Try something you’ve never done before but always wondered about! Go for it!
4. No emotional turmoil. When you go into casual sex not expecting a phone call the next day or a proposal next year, you’ll find yourself free from the emotional turmoil that comes with unmet expectations.
5. It’s good exercise. Cardio and strength-training, if you’re doing it right!
6. It keeps you in touch with your femininity. Sex is awesome for embracing your womanness. Just because you’re not in a committed relationship doesn’t mean you’re not entitled to feeling like a hot vixen in the bedroom! Casual sex will keep you in touch with your femininity and feeling fabulous if you allow yourself that pleasure from time to time.
7. It’s empowering. I think every woman should have a one-night stand. If it’s done right, it can be liberating. —Rachel Perry
8. You learn to ask for what you want. With casual sex, there is no time to allow your partner to learn by trial and error. Especially if you anticipate this encounter to be a one-and-done kind of thing, you’ll feel empowered to ask for what you want to be sure you’re satisfied by the experience. This absolutely translates to better advocacy for yourself outside of the bedroom as well.
9. You learn not to worry about your body. Who gives a s%*$ if you’ve got some stretchmarks or saddlebags?! Casual sex is about getting to that state of pleasure and satisfaction without regard for your self-critique. You may never see this partner again so you learn to just not worry about the flaws you think he or she may or may not see.
10. You can let go of your inhibitions. The whole not seeing this person again thing is very liberating. Let it all hang out, sister!
11. You might learn something about yourself emotionally. You may find yourself connected or not before, doing, and after the sex act with a casual partner. Understanding more about how you feel about sex and the people with which you engage can teach you a lot about yourself. Don’t judge. Just observe and maybe take some notes for future endeavors.
12. It’s good practice for when you’re ready for a long-term relationship. See above about asking for what you want and not worrying about your body.
13. It boosts your sexual self-esteem. Get enough casual sex logged in the bedroom and you’ll feel like a sex goddess in no time! And there’s nothing wrong with that!
14. It helps you enjoy sex more. Because we should ALL enjoy sex more.
15. Sex makes you happy. Chemically, we mean. Seriously. Orgasms release oxytocin in the brain which literally makes us calmer and happier women! Nothin’ wrong with that!