Raise your hand if you need a new arsenal of oatmeal recipe ideas. Oatmeal is especially delicious when you know how to prep it and top it like a pro. From chia seeds to cacao powder, there are hundreds of toppings you can add to enhance its flavor and nutritional value. But did you know that eating oatmeal is not only great for your heart and skin, but that it can reduce risks of colon cancer, diabetes and boosts your energy?
Despite these perks, Dr. Matthew Brennecke from Colorado’s Rocky Mountain Wellness Clinic told Medical Daily that: “Oatmeal is a pretty underutilized food and has, unfortunately, become less and less popular in the American diet, yet it maintains a very cheap price tag loaded with benefits.” These wholesome oats are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, folate, and potassium and contain beta-glucan, a type of fiber that’s been shown to help lower cholesterol when eaten regularly. Here are 10 oatmeal recipe ideas that are so tasty, they’ll inspire to rise and shine with the birds.
1. Carrot Cake Oatmeal Packed full of fiber, this dessert-like breakfast is sure to stop you from hitting the snooze button. Mix in apple, carrot, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt into your oatmeal as it cooks and let it sit. Then melt butter in a skillet, stir in pecans and top with brown sugar.
2. Chocolate-Banana Overnight Oatmeal This combination is full of protein, potassium, and fiber. Grab some rolled oats, almond milk, chocolate protein powder, banana, chia seeds, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Combine all ingredients in small bowl or jar and place in the fridge overnight. Good morning!
3. Bacon Oatmeal If you have a weak spot for greasy bacon, don’t be shy about adding it on to your wholesome old fashioned oats. Add one slice over your oats to amp up your protein quota and then drizzle it with maple syrup heaven.
4. Baked Oatmeal with Fruit Full of fiber and plain ol’ delicious, use this recipe to take advantage of any leftover fruit in your house. Just fold in fruit after 20 minutes of baking to get a uniquely delicious taste.
5. Baked Squash Oatmeal Want to sneak veggies into your kids’ breakfast? Just pre bake some squash and mix it in with your oatmeal and add cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, unsweetened applesauce, and almond milk. Delicious.
6. Fried Egg, Avocado, and Salsa Oatmeal Do you love a good south of the border style breakfast, but don’t want to go a day without healthy oats? Simply serve your fried egg over your oatmeal and top it with avocado slices and salsa to jet fuel your day.
7. Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Pumpkin pie isn’t only for Turkey day anymore. Combine oats, milk, a banana, and cinnamon into a small pot on medium heat and stir continuously for about 5 minutes. Add canned pumpkin, a touch of ground cloves and ground nutmeg. Ready to go.
8. Egg-White Whipped Vanilla Oatmeal After your oats have absorbed most of the water, pour in egg whites and vanilla and until mixture is blended. Let the oats sit for 5 minutes. Stir oatmeal, add topping like nuts, banana, blueberries, and dig in!
9. Slow Cooker Oatmeal Before you go to bed, combine oats and water in a slow cooker. Set on low, cover, and let cook overnight. In the morning, stir in salt, milk and sprinkle brown sugar over the top along with pears, blueberries, raisins, butter, cinnamon or whatever you fancy.
10. Nutty Oatmeal Go nuts by adding an extra bite to you morning with walnuts, almond, dates, banana, honey, cinnamon, and cashews for a filling breakfast bowl that will fill you up and is ultra-nutritious.