Where’s the potato salad? That’s the first thing my Tía will ask when she walks in the house on any given family gathering. It just has to be the one food that we always enjoy no matter what the occasion. A friend of mine who was born and raised in Los Angeles and recently moved away said something along the lines of “All Latinos in Los Angeles love potato salad, they even eat it on Christmas Eve, alongside their tamales.” I think she’s right.
I know potato salad has an appeal to many different nationalities and people of all ages, and my family is no exception. A few years back a chicken place opened up down the street from my house and they made the best potato salad, everyone went nuts for it, but unfortunately they closed down recently and we were stuck without their delicious ensalada de papa.
I couldn’t leave my family in dire straits without their beloved salad so I came up with a copycat version to please their cravings. Here is my version of a beautiful potato salad that we will certainly be enjoying this Easter and every other family gathering we have for years to come.
Read Related: Tamale Secrets from the Experts
EASTER POTATO SALAD
7 Idaho Russet Potatoes
1 cup mayo
½ cup sour cream
2 TBSP brown mustard
¾ cup diced black olives
2 hard boiled eggs (diced super small)
½ cup grated carrot
½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced green onion
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large pot filled halfway with water over a high flame and bring to a boil.
- While water is boiling, peel potatoes and cut into 2 inch cubes.
- Add potatoes to boiling water and boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from water once cooked and drain water out. Allow to cool. Divide potatoes into 2 batches.
- Once cooled, mash one batch of the potatoes until smooth, and chop the other batch into super small cubes. Then mix the two batches together in a large bowl.
- Next add in the mayo, sour cream and mustard. Mix until completely incorporated.
- Then add in the black olives, boiled eggs, grated carrots, onion and green onion. Mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in the fridge overnight and ENJOY!