Do you find yourself wanting to make a special breakfast for the family in the days following holiday dinner yet you are unprepared and exhausted? That is how I feel each year after hosting a holiday dinner at my house.
Ever since I’ve had kids, I host Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve dinner at our house. With babies, I thought it would be easier to have people come over and enjoy the food at my house rather than toting my children along with all of their stuff.
THE GUILTY GOURMET
With big meals, come bigger cleanups. By the time I go to bed I can’t hold myself up anymore and the thought of making something intricate for breakfast is not in my priority list. That is, until I realize that the grandparents are sleeping over instead of traveling back home late at night in the cold.
GRANDMA TO THE RESCUE!
Not to worry. I have plenty of ideas from my Abuela in my recipe binders. My grandmother used to make overnight French toast on Sunday mornings. I’ve modified her recipe a bit to include some of the current fall flavors like pumpkin and cinnamon.
Read Related: Torrijas: Spanish Sweet Toast
You’ll love these because the prep-time is short, the refrigerator does all the work and all you have to do is throw them in the oven while you enjoy your first cup of coffee in the morning.
OVERNIGHT PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Wait Time: 10-15 minutes & overnight
5 eggs, beaten
¾ cup milk
½ cup pumpkin puree
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 8 (1-inch thick) slices
Powdered sugar for decoration
- Mix eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, vanilla extract, baking powder.
- On a 13×9 baking dish, lay slices of French bread. (I know I wrote 8, but sometimes there is room for more, squeeze them in!)
- Pour mixture over bread to coat evenly. After 10-15 min, turn to absorb from bottom.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake in preheated 450°F oven 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.