The name might sound creepy but this delicious sliders recipe from Food Network.com is not just for Halloween. Serve them up as an appetizer at any gathering and your guests will be asking for morgue!To ensure a nice browned top to your sliders when cooking, check that the broiler flame is on when you pop them in. Many broilers cycle on and off as they work, so it’s important to broil these fast-cooking burgers during an “on” cycle.
Read Related:12 Veggie Burgers that Will Make You Say “Moo!”
SPICY JUICY LUCY-FER SLIDERS RECIPE
Makes: 12 sliders
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
2 Tbsps. olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
1½ pounds ground beef
4 ounces pepper jack cheese, cut into 12 equal pieces
¼ cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
12 slider-size potato buns, split & toasted
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onions, spreading them into an even layer. Cook without stirring, until the edges of the onions are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir the onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and caramelized, another 20 minutes.
3. Add the chipotles, garlic, ½ tsp. salt & ¼ tsp. pepper. Cook until fragrant and well combined, 1-2 minutes, and remove from the heat.
4. Preheat the oven broiler.
5. Divide the meat into 12 portions, about 2 ounces each. Form a patty around each piece of cheese and flatten to 2 ½-3 inches in diameter. Put the wrapped patties on a foil-lined baking sheet and sprinkle all the patties with ¾ teaspoon salt.
6. Broil until the cheese is melted and the burgers are still a bit pink inside, about 6 minutes. The burgers will be cooked to at least medium in order to melt the cheese but still stay juicy.
7. Mix the ketchup, balsamic and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Brush the burgers with some of the ketchup sauce and divide the rest among the bottom halves of the buns.
8. Place a burger on each bottom bun, top with some of the spicy onions and finish with a top bun. Serve warm.