Kids are a big fan of pasta and it gets hard to keep creating new versions that appeal to the whole family. Barilla shared with us this hearty steak picado and pasta dish with just enough spicy kick to appeal to the most finicky eaters.
Read Related: 10 Easy Winter Casserole Recipes
STEAK PICADO WITH BARILLA PASTA
2-3 pounds sirloin steak (cut into 1½ inch cubes)
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
1 yellow bell pepper (sliced into ½ inch pieces)
1 red bell pepper (sliced into ½ inch pieces)
2 jalapeños (stems removed & sliced in half)
5 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
4 tomatoes (chopped)
3 bay leaves
½ tsp. chile flakes
2 cups beef broth
½ pound Barilla pasta (such as collezione)
1. Add meat to bowl and sprinkle with cumin, salt, oregano, and black pepper. Mix with hands.
2. In a large cast iron pan or dutch oven over a medium high flame add in olive oil. Allow to get hot.
3. Add in cubed steak and sear on each side until browned about 2 minutes. Remove meat from pan and set to the side.
4. In the same pan sauté onion, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, jalapeños, and garlic for about 10 minutes or until onion is slightly translucent.
5. Add in tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Add browned meat back to the pan with sautéed veggies. Mix to combine.
7. Add in bay leaves, chile flakes, and beef broth. The broth should just barely cover the meat.
8. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover with a lid, and lower the flame to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
10. When the meat is close to being done, cook pasta according to the box.
11. Remove from water and add directly into steak picado and mix it in to combine.