1 Tbsp. butter
1 pound carrots
1 large onion, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth (low sodium) or water
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, no pulp
1 Tb. brandy
2 tsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
Fresh tarragon sprigs
Sour cream, optional
Chives, chopped, optional
1. Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add carrots and onion. Sauté until onion is soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes.
2. Add broth or water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, uncover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Working in batches puree the soup in a blender, be careful, it is hot. Return soup to pot.
4. Stir in orange juice, brandy, chopped tarragon, and fresh ginger. Simmer for another 5-7 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Garnish soup with fresh tarragon sprigs or with any of the other options and serve.