The first thing that comes to mind when you think about the best hangover food is anything greasy. Greasy, fried foods often do make you feel a little better if you had one (or so…) too many last night, but they aren’t great for your waistline. The next time you overindulge and are searching for the best hangover food that won’t make you fat, try one of these 10 nutritious and delicious recipes.
1. Green Smoothie With Pineapple, Arugula, Greens and Cashews Dehydration is the biggest issue when it comes to hangovers so you can’t get too many liquids. Fruit juice, especially pineapple, is great for hangovers because it’s got vitamins and simple sugars — low blood sugar is another cause of hangover symptoms. Ginger helps with nausea and you can add coconut water for extra electrolytes.
Read Related: Oh My Aching Head: 9 Hangover Cures
2. Miso Soup When the thought of a meal makes your stomach turn, Miso Soup is the best hangover food. You replace some fluids, get a little protein from the tofu and miso paste contains probiotics to help replace some of your gut bacteria that may have been disturbed by the alcohol.
3. Chilaquiles con Rajas This Mexican hangover cure does include fried tortillas but a few chips will soak up the bad stuff. The spicy Salsa Verde will help you sweat out some of the toxins. Serve with avocado to help settle your stomach even more.
4. The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich Cheddar Bay Biscuits are the bread on this sandwich but they’re actually low-fat so go ahead and indulge. Eggs, bacon, tomato, avocado and spinach will soak up the toxins and give you energy to make it through.
5. Sriracha Nori Avocado Toast Avocados again! The combination of good fats and bread help your tummy and Sriracha gives it a little kick.
6. Homemade Electrolyte Drink The best hangover food is all about electrolytes and this delicious concoction delivers without all of the chemicals and sugar that are in many commercial sports drinks. Orange juice, lemon juice, Himalayan sea salt, coconut water and honey refresh, rehydrate and give you plenty of minerals.
7. Honey Grilled Watermelon Caprese Salad Watermelon is one of the best foods for getting hydrated. When the thought of something sweet just doesn’t seem appealing, this light, savory salad is a tasty way to get a few carbs, some water and healthy vitamins.
8. Peruvian Ceviche Spicy ceviche is a traditional Peruvian hangover cure. It’s a crisp combo of habanero chile, lime juice, clam juice, sweet potato, corn and fish. Just enough to settle your stomach and turn up the heat to get rid of those toxins.
9. Hungarian Hangover Soup Believe it or not, sauerkraut is a great hangover cure because it’s got plenty of probiotics as well as vitamin C and electrolytes. Bone broth is a nutrient-rich way to replenish fluids.
10. Healthy Egg & Chips This recipe comes courtesy of BBC goodfood so the chips are actually diced potatoes. This dish is totally simple: potatoes, mushroom, eggs, shallots, oregano and olive oil. Just mix up the veggies and bake, then pour each of the eggs into a gap in the vegetables and bake again.