- 33.4 million people currently live with HIV/AIDS.
- More than 25 million people have died of AIDS in the world since 1981.
- In 2008, 2 million people died of HIV/AIDS. 2.7 million people were newly infected.
- The majority of cases of those living with HIV (97%) live in low- and middle-income countries, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) states that most people living with HIV or who are at risk of contracting HIV do not have access to prevention, care or treatment.
- The HIV epidemic also affects other areas of life; homes, communities, and the development and growth of nations.
U.S. BY THE NUMBERS To get the big picture and bring it closer to home: every 9.5 minutes, someone in the US is infected with HIV.