Stir-frying is intrinsic to Chinese cuisine, yet this Stir Fried Beef and Potatoes dish is anything but typical. Narrow strips of beef are marinated with vinegar and cumin, then cooked with a colorful assortment of onions, peppers, and tomatoes, and served on a bed of french fries and a side of rice. Here we bake the potatoes instead of frying them for ease. To amp up the heat, try adding some Peruvian aji chiles.
Read Related: Exploring Geography & Culture with Foods & Recipes
STIR FRIED BEEF & POTATOES (LOMO SALTADO)
For the Beef and Vegetables:
¾ lb flank steak or boneless sirloin, thinly sliced across the grain into long thin strips
1 T ground cumin
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 T cider or red wine vinegar
2 t soy sauce
1 large Yukon gold potato or 1½ pounds yucca, peeled and cut into ½-inch sticks
4 T cooking oil, like canola or grapeseed, plus more for tossing the potatoes
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced 1 slice of ginger, about the size of a quarter
1 small red onion, cut into ½-inch slices
1 red, green, or yellow bell pepper, cut into ½-inch slices
2 medium tomatoes, quartered
½-1 aji pepper (depending on spiciness), finely chopped (optional)
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro or parsley
For the Sauce:
¾ cup water or chicken broth
2 t potato starch
1 T soy sauce
Pinch of sugar
¼ t salt
¼ t freshly ground black pepper
4-6 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Marinate the beef: Place the beef, cumin, black pepper, vinegar, and soy sauce in a medium bowl and mix until the beef is evenly coated. Set aside for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Roast the potatoes: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the potatoes in a bowl, drizzle with a little oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and arrange in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast the potatoes for 25 to 30 minutes, turning them halfway through cooking.
- Stir-fry the beef and vegetables: Meanwhile, place a wok over high heat. When it is very hot, add half the oil and swirl it around to coat the pan. Add the garlic and the ginger and swirl it around the pan. Then immediately add the beef and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Scoop onto a holding bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same wok. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, tossing and stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and aji peppers, if desired, and return the beef into the wok.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl, add it to the wok, and cook until the sauce thickens to coat the beef and vegetables, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Arrange the potatoes on serving dish, scoop the beef and vegetables on top, and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with a side of white rice.