Every season is chili season, especially when the weather can’t quite decide whether it’s spring, still winter or full-on summertime! This zesty recipe is both heartwarming and fresh, and is a total favorite for dining in, at potlucks, and entertaining guests.
Read Related: Cold Chasing Two Bean Sage Chili
For the Pico De Gallo
1/2 onion, diced
1 large tomato
2/3 cup cilantro
1 small jalapeno
For the Black Bean Chili
other half of onion
1½ cloves of garlic, minced
2 links vegan sausage
1 lime juiced
2/3 cup frozen corn
2/3 cup hearty beer (or sub vegetable broth)
2 cups cooked black beans (or 2-15 oz cans, rinsed and drained)
1½ cups fresh pumpkin puree (or 1-15 oz can)
For the Chili Spice
1½ tbsp smoked paprika
3 tsp chili powder
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp rubbed sage
¼ tsp cayenne
- For the pico de gallo, combine ½ cup diced onion, diced tomatoes, minced jalapeno and roughly chopped cilantro. An easy way to make the perfect pico de gallo is to match the color ratio to the even red, white and green of the Mexican flag.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot and add other ½ onion. Saute until translucent then add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add chili spice and saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chopped up sausage and once it has browned, add lime juice and frozen corn, stirring until corn’s yellow color brightens.
- Pour in beer and allow to simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cover, simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with a mound of pico de gallo. Delish!