UPDATED November 14th, 2017
If you’re wondering what to cook with Thanksgiving leftovers, let me suggest a Turkey Paella. The turkey will be loaded with moist and flavor the next day, and since the only best thing after Thanksgiving dinner is Thanksgiving leftovers here is your chance to get creative and exotic.
12 ounces spicy smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups long-grain white rice
1/4 tsp. saffron
4 cups low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
4 large plum tomatoes, ripe, quartered
Sea salt and fresh pepper, to taste
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
5 cups leftover turkey, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 Tb. Spanish olives, pitted, halved or whole
1 cup frozen peas
Fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large pot brown sausage over medium heat, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Remove sausage from the pot and set aside.
4. Add oil to the same pot and once hot add onions and cook until golden soft, stirring frequently, about 12 minutes.
5. Add the pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
6. Add the rice, garlic, and saffron. Stir to blend in flavors and ingredients. Add remaining ingredients. Mix, taste and adjust seasoning.