It’s almost that time of year—summer is right around the corner and you know what that means—the barbecue invitations, graduation parties, Father’s Day events and beach vacations are on their way. Why not welcome summer with a few simple yet healthy and vibrant recipes that your kids will actually enjoy eating. I’ve created homemade plantain chips with a unique sweet and spicy topping along with a sweet cilantro orange guacamole that will do more than jazz up your taste buds.
You can serve these chips aside your barbecued sandwiches, crushed atop a salad or enjoy alone as a snack served with salsa and guacamole. Speaking of guacamole, my sweet orange guacamole is perfect to serve with tortilla chips for an appetizer, spread atop morning toast with eggs, wrapped inside a corn tortilla, mixed with eggs and sour cream for a frittata, served as a dip with crudités and grilled vegetables or simply added to your taco salad. Whichever way you decide to serve these two recipes—you and your guests will be yearning for another excuse to get together and celebrate with these simple recipes in the summer sunshine.
Read Related: Rosa Mexicano’s Guacamole Delight
So, why not grab your beach bucket or your red and white checkered picnic blanket and rally up the kids to help you whip up these recipes in the kitchen for a fun-filled afternoon of fun and satisfying food that’s sure to keep everyone happy. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
2 green plantains
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 t chili powder
1 t cinnamon
1 t cumin
½ t sugar
- Slice ends of each plantains; peel and discard skin.
- Cut plantains crosswise into 4 pieces approximately 2 inches long.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add plantains and cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer plantains to a paper towel lined plate.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, cinnamon, cumin and sugar.
- Serve with Spicy Cilantro Guacamole (recipe below).
SPICY ORANGE-CILANTRO GUACAMOLE
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 fresh orange, peeled and segmented
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 c fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
1/3 cup white onion, coarsely chopped
2 t fresh lime juice
½ t sea salt
¼ t freshly ground black pepper
1/8 t red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor; pulse until smooth.
- Serve with tacos, salads, on toast, tortilla chips, warm corn tortillas, or with the above recipe for plantain chips.