What’s better than sipping on an ice-cold smoothie on a hot summer day? Whether you’re poolside minding the kids or stuck indoors doing laundry, smoothies offer a refreshing alternative to calorie-laden colas. All you need is a few ingredients, a little ice, and a blender. Added bonus: Smoothies are a great way to energize and get your recommended servings of fruits—and veggies too!
Here are three for you to try:
• Kale—3-5 leaves
• Mango—just half (you get two smoothies for the price of 1 mango!)
• Coconut water—about 1 cup, use more or less depending on desired consistency
Okay, admittedly a green smoothie may not look that appetizing, especially if you have fussy eaters, but it makes up for its lack of visual appeal where it counts—on your tastebuds! Plus, who doesn’t love mango? And best of all, kale contains phytochemicals, which help ward off breast and cervical cancer.
Read Related: Healthy Eating with Blenders
BERRY MACA MIX
• Fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)—1 handful
• Maca Power—1 scoop
• Almond Milk—about 1 cup, depending on desired consistency
• Berries are rich in antioxidants and super tasty! Maca root is an ancient Peruvian superfood said to increase energy, libido, and lift your emotional state. You can find it at your neighborhood Latino-owned health food store.
MORNING AFTER (THE FRUIT, NOT YOU) SMOOTHIE
• Leftover fruit/fruit salad from your fridge
• Honey—just a dollop
• Ice—according to desired consistency
This is a great way to salvage fruit that’s been sitting in your fridge for a minute or that fruit salad left over from that corporate lunch or family barbecue. Honey is great for boosting the immune system. Use sparingly, and try to buy local honey for maximum benefits.
Now get to blending!