This summer’s beauty trend is all about color: peacock eyes, fresh cheeks, sheer, fruit-stained lips, hard candy nail polish hues, and lush scents—all in palettes. A breeze to apply and to travel with, these useful sets of happy colors and fragrances will get you all the way through Labor Day and beyond.
THE ALL IN ONE
Sigma Resort Palette Limited Edition ($42): Both aquatic and ethereal, this universally flattering collection will transport you to glamorous climes even if you’re stuck at the office. The set features eight soft, luminous eyeshadows, a peachy blush, a pearly liquid highlighter, a dual-ended eyeliner and a big mirror, all in one rectangular box with a magnetic closure. Fa-bu-lous.
THE THREE QUARTETS
BareMinerals Ready 4.0 Eyeshadow Palette in The Wild Thing ($30); Cargo Color Palette in Tahiti ($30); and Stila Countless Color Pigments in Light Show ($22): These lovely foursomes—even their packaging is gorgeous and fun— respectively evoke L.A. swimming pools, the southern Pacific Ocean, and the Earth as seen from a spaceship. Vibrant, finely milled and ultra-shear, these are ideal for brown-eyed chicas to really set off those pretty peepers. (Tip: Never match eye shadow to eye color. They compete and cancel each other out.)
Read Related: 5 Products to Speed Up Your Beauty Routine
THE ICONIC BRICK
Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Compact in Nectar ($42): Sweep all or any of these five subtly shimmering shades of warm coral and corally pinks under your eyebrows, across the tops of your cheekbones, along your clavicle, and say, Hola, summertime! This iconic palette has just enough glow to catch the light where it would naturally fall on and highlight skin. Absolutely beautiful on everyone.
Fresh Sugar Kisses Mini Lip Trio ($28); Cargo Lip Gloss Quad in South Beach ($24); and Smashbox Heat Wave Lip Gloss Set ($29): In berry, rosé, and coral tints, Fresh’s sheer, sugar-enriched SPF 15 lip treatments leave all kissers sun-protected, nourished, and lovely. Cargo’s quartet is justifiably renowned; its texture is like silk on your lips and the neutral shades are instant chic. From Electric Orange to Copper Remix, Smashbox’s limited edition quad covers all lips (and outfits) perfectly. Wear them over lipstick or on their own. Love.
WARM WEATHER SCENTS
Laura Mercier Le Petite Patisserie Fragrance Coffret ($45): A fragrant case of little sweets. What could be better than that? This limited edition trio includes Almond Coconut Milk, Fig, and Vanille scents that smell good enough to eat. Feminine, warm, and delicious but not overpowering, you can wear them individually or layered. Either way, people will want to get much closer. Yum.
Zoya Pixie Dust Summer 2013 Sampler ($54): This brilliantly colorful sextet is ridiculous. Sure, you could buy only one of these colors ($9 each), but why? Zoya’s genius is in creating unique colors and groovy textures that no one else has. Pixie Dust requires no base or top coat; the idea is a matte surface with a grainy feel that still sparkles like crushed rock candy. I tried it with and without a topcoat and it was amazing both ways.
A lagniappe is a “little gift,” so consider these products and tips our little gift to you!
- Beautifully applied eye makeup that melts the second you step outside is a major summer bummer. Always prep your lids with Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($20). Even the worst humidity cannot conquer it.
- To complement peacock eyes, nothing beats a deep navy blue mascara. Fresher and less harsh than black—never use brown; it muddies eyes—blue brightens the whites of your eyes and looks, yes, natural in and out of daylight. I love Laura Mercier’s Long Lash Mascara in Bleu ($24).
- See-through lip glosses demand baby-smooth lips. Ensure yours are with sara happ The Lip Scrub Blood Orange Lip Exfoliator ($24). Just try not to eat it.
- Keep the shine where it belongs—on your lips—by lining your kisser first with Cargo’s Reverse Lip Liner ($16). Specifically created to be worn under gloss, this neat, soft, neutral pencil defines, adds fullness, and locks in wandering color.
- Glitter nail polishes are notoriously clingy and difficult to remove. Zoya’s Remove Plus (from $4.60) does the job in one swipe, smells nice, and is actually good for your nails. Pair it with Renée Rouleau Toning Cloths ($12.50 for 160 cloths) for a lint-and fuzz-free result.