It’s spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you’ve got it, you want—oh, you don’t quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! —Mark Twain
Sunlight, budding flowers, warmer weather and casting off those layers of winter clothes…all lighten the spirit and the soul. Longer days and the warm spring breeze somehow bring us hope and enthusiasm as the world seems once again filled with possibility. This is a time to come alive and, as with a spring fling, become infatuated with life again.
Spring is the time when we can reach our utmost potential. Our decision making is not darkened by the sometimes cruel winter, when we hide and remain somewhat dormant. If you suffer from the winter blues, then spring is the time to get out there and enjoy life to the fullest. This is your time to bloom.
According to Psychology Today, with increased daylight in spring, a host of direct and indirect elements improve mood and rekindle hope. Our serotonin production increases, providing a major mood boost that antidepressants try to do artificially. Thanks to the sunshine and warmer air, we naturally want to get out to be more active.
Have a spring fling with life! Exploit and enhance it by making the most of your good spirits. Nourish it with all the anticipation and drive this season seems to bring forth. To make the most of this season, engage in the little and big pleasures this season reveals.
- Walk barefoot on the grass. Feel the earth under you and breathe deeply. Forget the world for a while and take in the moment. Relax.
- Go on those hikes you skipped all winter. Forget you’re doing it for exercise; just enjoy the walk! Look around you and be ready to be amazed at the transformation spring brings!
- Go to farmers markets and enjoy the seasonal fruits and vegetables. Prepare those delicious fresh salads that felt too cold in winter. ‘Tis the season to go light and easy on your meals.
- Exercise outdoors! Go for that run, walk or bike ride. You’ve got all that extra daylight, so make good use of it by burning some calories in the great outdoors.
Read Related: 10 Things to Do During Winter to Prep for Summer
- Sit in a park and write or draw. Be inspired. Be there and watch people enjoying the new season. Practice mindfulness.
- Get out those lightweight spring clothes. It will feel like you’ve treated yourself to a new wardrobe.
- Kick back in the evening and read a book. Sit on your porch, garden or even by an open window, and enjoy the warm spring air.
- Be like a child. Look at life with the anticipation and excitement spring brought you. Play!
- Plan your spring and summer activities. Picnics, barbecues, and outdoor dinners are great ways to celebrate the season with family and friends.
- Set goals for the year. When you are full of hope and optimistic, things seem easier and more attainable.
- Fall in love again. If you don’t have a significant other, this is the time to be open to meeting that special person. When your mood is elevated you are more likely to attract what you’re looking for in a mate.
Spring is the season of hope and renewal. It comes but once a year so seize the opportunity to have your own spring fling right now!