March 9 is National Meatball Day and what better way to celebrate than by throwing a meatball party! This recipe for Saucy Parmesan Meatballs comes from Gallo Family Vineyards. For a completely indulgent experience, this recipe pairs well with a bold red wine, such as their own Hearty Burgundy.
Read Related: The Spaniard: Meatballs From La Mancha
SAUCY PARMESAN MEATBALLS
Makes: about 30
For the Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup finely chopped sun dried tomatoes (oil-packed or dry)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1. In a medium saucepan heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for 1 minute until fragrant.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 minutes.
3. Cover and keep warm over very low heat.
For the Meatballs:
1 slice white bread, finely processed into crumbs (½ cup)
½ pound ground beef
½ pound ground pork
1 egg, beaten
½ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground fennel
1. While sauce is simmering, in a large bowl gently combine all meatball ingredients until just incorporated.
2. Using wet hands, form 1-inch meatballs.
3. Carefully add meatballs to sauce, return to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until meatballs are cooked through and absorb sauce, 30 minutes.
4. Transfer to a fondue pot and serve with fondue forks or skewers.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Gallo Family Vineyards.