Editor’s Note: Mamiverse Food Celebrity Contributor Evette Rios gives this sandwich classic a delicious Latin spin with the addition of sofrito…enjoy!
BACON, LETTUCE, SOFRITO SANDWICH (BLS)
A large handful of cilantro leaves
A large handful of culantro leaves
½ Spanish onion, diced
¾ red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
½ green bell peppers, seed and chopped
2 ajies dulces peppers, chopped
3-4 cloves, peeled, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
White Bread (White bread is best so as not to overwhelm all the other competing flavors)
1-2 ripe (sweet) plantains
Canola oil or any neutral flavor oil (for frying) ~ 2/3 cup
Related Video: Energize Your Food with Sofrito
- Chop first seven ingredients and pulse in a food processor until small-diced. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pan fry slabs of bacon to desired crispiness (you may not need to use oil to fry bacon, as it already has enough natural oils.)
- Cut plantains on a bias (½ inch thick slices)
- Pour oil in pan to cover a little less than half the thickness of plantains in pan.
- Heat oil until water sizzles when dropped into oil.
- Add plantains in batches to pan. Fry briefly until lightly golden. Reduce heat and cook until caramelized or as desired (turning plantains as needed).
- Assemble sandwich with lettuce, plantains, bacon, sofrito, and spicy mayo.
Mix 1 tsp cayenne pepper with ½ cup mayo.