One of my abuelita’s secrets to make certain we had our daily serving of vegetables was this sweet, hearty, and creamy vegetable soup.
SOUP GOES “SAILING”
She used to top our soups with croutons which add crunchiness. The croutons were barquitos, as she used to call them: tiny boats. She allowed us to top our own soups with the barquitos and then proceeded to gobble—fun and nutritious!
This soup—starring carrots—is low-cal at only 52 calories per cup, and rich in fiber and antioxidants as well as vitamins A, C and K.
I made this cream soup for my one-year-old niece and she devoured it.
Read Related: Abuelita’s Empanadillas (Mini Empanadas)
PURÉ DE VERDURAS DE LA ABUELITA (Vegetable Cream Soup)
Yield: 6 servings
Time: 1 hour
2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, diced
2 lb carrots, diced
1 onion diced, medium
5 cups chicken stock
6 TBSP olive oil
Salt to taste
- Over medium heat, sauté the onion for 3 minutes in 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Salt to taste.
- Add 5 cups of stock, turn heat up and cook until vegetables are tender. About 25 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables with a spatula and place in a mixer.
- Mix at medium speed.
- While mixing, add two eggs.
- In a slow stream, add 3 tablespoons olive oil and blend till smooth.
- Serve immediately and top with croutons for garnish.