Chicken, the other meat kids love! And so did I when I was little. Beef was too much work and it took too long to chew! So, my abuelita found another way for me to get my protein. She made this chicken with tomato dish which is tangy and sweet. The sugar takes away the bitterness of the tomatoes, making it more appealing to the palate. This simple dish can be used as a filling for empanadas. If you have leftovers, you can give it a twist and serve it the next day. Delicious!
Read Related: Warm Hearts & Tummies with Cocido Madrileño
POLLO CON TOMATE DE LA ABUELITA
Time: 45 minutes
4 boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts or thighs (about 2 lbs.)
1 can (28 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced.
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Boil chicken in a large pot of salted water for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
2. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, salt and sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes, allowing the juices to partly reduce.
4. Meanwhile, scoop the chicken out of the pot and shred.
5. Add shredded chicken to the tomato mixture and simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring once in awhile.
6. Remove from heat and serve with rice or quinoa.