Editor’s Note: April 2 is National Peanut Butter & Jelly Day so we decided to feature a tasty twist on a classic. Enjoy!
Here’s a decadent peanut butter & jelly sandwich you will find yourself nibbling on as you serve it. Warm sandwiches are so comforting and this one is great for either breakfast or lunch. It has lots of protein from the added egg and milk.
Read Related: Torrijas: Spanish Sweet Toast
PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY FRENCH TOAST
Makes: 1 Sandwich*
2 slices whole-grain bread or leftover hot dog buns
2 TBSP peanut butter
2 TBSP jelly
¼ cup milk or heavy cream
1 TBSP butter
- Spread the peanut butter on 1 slice of bread. Spread the jelly on the other slice of bread. Put the 2 slices together to form a sandwich.
- In a shallow bowl, lightly whisk the milk and egg together. Soak the sandwiches in the egg mixture for 2 minutes per side, letting the mixture soak in well.
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Brown both sides of the sandwich, about 4 minutes per side until golden.
- Cut into quarters and stack them on a plate to serve.
• If you find your French toast too wet in the center, place it in a 300°F oven for 5 minutes and it will cook through perfectly.
• This recipe is easily doubled to make more sandwiches.
This recipe first appeared in The Todder Café (Chronicle Books, March 2008).