For the Dressing:
2 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
½ tsp. sugar
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
3 heads romaine lettuce, cut lengthwise in half
½ cup Parmesan curls, shaved from a block of cheese with a swivel vegetable peeler
To Make the Dressing:
1. Finely chop the garlic on a chopping board. Sprinkle with a large pinch of salt, and smear the garlic on the chopping board to make a paste. Transfer to a small bowl.
2. Add the vinegar, water, oregano, and sugar and whisk to combine.
3. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
To Grill the Lettuce:
1. Build a medium-hot fire in an outdoor grill or heat a grill pan over high heat.
2. If using an outdoor grill, brush the cooking grate clean. Brush the romaine lettuce with some dressing on both sides.
3. Place on the grill or grill pan, cut side down, and grill, turning once, until the lettuce is seared with grill marks, about 2 minutes.
4. Place each romaine half on a dinner plate.
5. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve immediately.