The combination of strawberries, fresh basil, and balsamic vinaigrette is a fairly new flavor profile in the culinary world. Warm strawberries that have been grilled or heated, release a sweetness that compliment these flavors exquisitely.
Grilled strawberries can easily become a backyard barbecue favorite when grilled over a low flame on skewers until they begin to release their juice. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a tasty dessert.
Inspired by this flavor combination, I decided to expand on it and create a grown-up version of strawberry shortcake. Crostinis take the place of pound cake, creamy mascarpone cheese replaces whipped cream, and balsamic vinegar gives it a special zing that brings it all together.
Convenient and delicious enough to be prepared as a quick snack, this decadent Grilled Strawberry Basil Bruschetta is beautiful and elegant enough to be presented as an appetizer for a summer garden party, a bachelorette party brunch,or a sweet baby shower spread.
STRAWBERRY MASCARPONE BALSAMIC BASIL BRUSCHETTA
½ cup balsamic vinegar
12 crostinis (toasted slices of French bread)
1 lb. strawberries washed, hulled and chopped*
2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped
1 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, heat vinegar over medium to low heat.
- Simmer until reduced by half, approximately 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and basil.
- Add salt, pepper and reduced vinegar to the strawberry mixture.
- Spread mascarpone cheese on toasted bread.
- Spoon strawberry mixture on top.
- Garnish with any leftover basil.
Grilling Option: Grill strawberries over a low flame on skewers until they begin to release their juice. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.