Editor’s Note: Here’s a different take on traditional Valentine’s Day treats; go tropical! Also, here is more visual inspiration for your Valentine’s Day Decorating!
Coconut and pineapple are two delicious fruits and when combined they produce a balanced flavor and the rum enhances their tropical taste. These cupcakes can also be made without the rum.
Read Related: The Sweet Life: Chocolate-Coffee Cupcake!
COCONUT, PINEAPPLE & RUM CUPCAKES
Makes: Approximately 12 cupcakes
5¼ oz of butter
3¾ oz of baker’s sugar
8 drops of essential coconut oil or 1 TSP natural coconut essence
1¾ oz flour
1½ oz cornstarch
1 TSP baking powder
12 small pieces of pineapple
3½ fl oz of rum
1¾ oz of sugar
- Beat butter and sugar together until soft, add the egg yolks and continue beating, and then add the natural coconut essence.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch and baking powder and add to mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and gently mix into the batter.
- Pour batter part of the batter into paper liners covering only the base, place a piece of pineapple and cover with the remaining batter to ¾ of the molds.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180°.
- When removed from the oven, immediately brush with rum syrup. This will give them flavor and keep them moist and fresh longer.
Preparing the Rum Syrup:
- Place 1¾ oz of sugar with 3½ fl oz of rum in a saucepan, mix together and then place over stove, if mixed together when the heat is on the syrup might crystalize.
- Remove from the heat when it begins to boil.
- Use immediately and any remaining syrup can be refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.