A CHEF IS BORN
What began with mami attempting to sweeten up our Saturday mornings has evolved into a true batter passion. She begins her morning by leafing through cookbooks in search of inspiration. I quietly walk by her towards my first of many steamy cups of coffee (why break her concentration?). She checks the fridge for essentials, heads to the pantry for staples, and grabs her two favorite mixing bowls.
PANCAKES IN THE WORKS!
Every month is a new seasonal surprise, peach pancakes in summer, citrus pancakes in the winter she has made them all. But in February, there is only one flavor she showcases: Chocolate. Every Saturday in the mes de amor she pampers us with decadent stacks of chocolate pancakes. We have become quite spoiled; mi carino is always the first to the table and my youngest beams with excitement as her sister places a stack on her favorite purple plate. I look on lovingly as she flips pancakes; she’s got talent that one, a genuine pancake purist.
Read Related: Rise ‘n’ Shine Oatmeal
Today, I share her favorite February chocolate pancake recipe. An easy-to-pull-together batter speckled with mini-chocolate chips and covered with strawberries. Chocolate and strawberries…what’s not to love. Enjoy!
VALENTINE’S CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY PANCAKES
Makes: 8-10 pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1 large egg
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup mini chocolate chips
1. Mix together flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another bowl whisk together milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla.
3. Pour over flour mixture, whisking to combine. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 TBSP vegetable oil over medium heat.
5. Ladle ¼ cup batter for each pancake onto skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes, tiny bubbles will appear on top of pancake. Flip and cook additional 3-4 minutes.
6. Repeat; add additional oil to skillet if needed.
7. Place pancakes in warm oven until ready to serve.
8. Serve warm with syrup and strawberries.