Editor’s Note: Here’s a great recipe for the upcoming Super Bowl Madness…Meatballs with a spicy kick and even a splash of Tequila! This recipe makes two dozen but if you make them into mini-meatballs…they are perfect for game-time munchies.
“The vibrant flavors of México pop in these balls that get a kick from a splash of tequila, the smoky heat of ancho and guajillo chiles, along with a fragrant touch of cinnamon and cumin, reminiscent of carnitas (the traditional Mexican spiced, braised pork.) Serve these with salsa roja. To serve alongside margaritas, try them as mini balls.”
Read Related: Spice Up Your Super Bowl Party with These Spiked Salsa Recipes!
Makes: 2 dozen 1½-inch meatballs
2 TBSP olive oil
1 dried ancho chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 dried guajillo chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
¼ cup tequila
Juice from 1 lime
2 pounds ground pork
1 ½ cups cooked long-grain white rice
2 large eggs
ó cup bread crumbs
3 soft corn tortillas, minced
1 small onion, finely diced
½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (including stems)
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
1 TSP crushed red pepper flakes
1 TSP salt
½ TSP ground cumin
Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Drizzle olive oil into 9 × 13-inch baking dish and coat evenly. Set aside.
- Combine ancho chile, guajillo chile, tequila, and lime juice in small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine chile mixture with ground pork, rice, eggs, bread crumbs, tortillas, onions, cilantro, tomato paste, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, cumin, and cinnamon in large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
- Roll mixture into round, golf ball–size meatballs (about 1 ½ inches), making sure to pack meat firmly. Place balls in prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form grid. Meatballs should be touching one another.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. Meat thermometer inserted into center of a meatball should read 165°F. Allow meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in baking dish before serving.