Any parent knows how important politeness is in the adult world. It improves our chances of having healthy and respectful relationships, both in our personal and professional lives. A child should practice politeness in any and every language. When one of my Spanish students asks me politely if he can go to his locker, I am thrilled, and even more so when he says, “Gracias.” Such words coming from a child make my heart melt and I know I am not the only one who is impacted by a child’s gracious manners.
Read Related: 10 Manners Every Child Should Know
Work on these 10 essential phrases to teach your child the importance of politeness:
- Por favor: Please.
- Gracias: Thank you.
- ¿Puedo ir al baño?: May I go to the bathroom?
- ¿Puedo comer postre?: May I have dessert?
- ¿Puedo levantarme de la mesa?: May I be excused from the table?
- ¿Quieres que te ayude?: May I help you?
- Muchas gracias por la cena/comida/almuerzo: Thanks so much for dinner/lunch.
- ¿Puedes ayudarme con la tarea?: Can you help me with my homework?
- ¿Disculpa?: Sorry? Excuse me?
- Perdóname: Forgive me.
Of course, these are just a few. As life becomes more complicated, the list will grow. Politeness will get your little one to become more attuned and sensitive to others. Plus, your child will make a great first impression on the adults in his world!
[Mamiverse’s Bilingual Plus is an online channel devoted to bringing parents and educators the bilingual learning tools they need in the form of digital picture books, sing-alongs, and free curriculum-based family activities.]