UPDATED March 26th, 2018
Pigeon Peas and rice is Puerto Rico’s national dish and no special occasion meal would be complete without Arroz con Gandules. This recipe from ViveMejor.com is a rice and pea dish seasoned with green olives and chopped ham. It makes a great side and even a light meal that the kids will love on it’s own.
Read Related: Arroz al Horno (Baked Rice) Valenciano
PIGEON PEAS AND RICE
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
8 ounces ham, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Knorr® Tomato Bouillon with Chicken Flavor Cubes
1½ cups rice
2 cans (15.5 oz. ea.) pigeon peas, rinsed and drained
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
⅓ cup sliced green olives with pimento
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat and cook ham, stirring until browned.
2. Stir in onion and cook until softened. Add pepper and garlic and cook, stirring until softened.
3. Crumble Knorr ® Tomato Bouillon with Chicken Flavor Cubes into saucepan and stir to combine. Stir in rice, pigeon peas and bay leaf. Add water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
5. Stir in olives; remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Photo & recipe courtesy Vivemejor.com.