1. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
2. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat it evenly with extra virgin olive oil. Place salmon on prepared sheet.
3. Rub fish with olive oil, sprinkle with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on desired cooked-ness. (Always remove fish before it’s cooked, and allow it to sit for a few minutes before serving.)
5. Meanwhile, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil, shallot and garlic, and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about a 30 seconds to a minute.
6. Add cherry tomatoes, stir, and cook until soft, about 1-2 minutes. Add olives, stir to combine and cook for less than a minute. Add herbs, combine; add balsamic vinegar, stir to combine. Taste, adjust seasoning.
7. Remove from heat. Spoon tapenade over fish. Serve over whole grain pasta or lentils.
Kitchen Notes: You may add capers, and use cilantro instead of parsley, or add it to the tapenade.