Editor’s Note: Here’s a healthy, delicious version of Chicken Enchiladas, Mario Lopez Style…perfect for celebrating the upcoming Hispanic Heritage Month!
Read Related: Mario Lopez’s Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
6 corn tortillas
2 tsp olive oil
½ cup diced bell pepper
½ cup diced onion
½ tsp salt
½ tsp dried oregano
6 oz cooked chicken breast, shredded
2 Tbsp canned green chilis
1 cup mild salsa, divided
2 cups baby spinach
½ cup low fat shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterey Jack recommended)
Hot sauce (optional)
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 º.
2. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven to warm.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions and peppers. Season with salt and oregano and saute for 5 minutes
4. Add chicken, green chilis, ½ cup salsa, and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
5. Remove tortillas from the oven and spray a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
6. Place ¼ cup of chicken mixture in a tortilla, roll up and transfer to baking dish; repeat with remaining tortillas.
7. Top tortillas with remaining salsa and cheese and bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with hot sauce, if desired.