As a Latina, even when I don’t usually wear makeup, the holidays are the one time that I do! ‘Tis the season for bold textures, festive hues and glitzy looks!
To achieve holiday-worthy makeup, you need to choose your cosmetics wisely—as beauty-related sales can be tempting—and pick long lasting, high quality items that won’t let you down mid-party. So, pull out your best outfit, glam up with our easy tips and get ready to make a toast to the New Year…¡a la moda!
Lipstick is an instant confidence booster. The trick is applying it correctly and choosing the right shade. Here’s how:
- Stick to burgundy, raspberry, cherry or plum shades (very hot for Fall/Winter) and semi-matte formulas.
- Prep your lips using a toothbrush or scrub and then apply lip balm. Wait five minutes or until the balm is absorbed before applying lipstick.
- Line your lips with a tone that matches your lipstick. Don’t forget the inner corners! You can also do use a chubby lip crayon.
- Some colors look dark in the tube but most of them need to be layered nonetheless. Start applying with a lip brush and keep adding color until you achieve the desired effect. Blot with a tissue, repeat the last step and finish with lip gloss if you want extra shine.
- Skip foundation! Then go for neutral or gold shadows, black mascara and well-groomed eyebrows.
- Think outside the box: gothic lip stains, lip liners and tinted lip balms are perfect for beginners.
Recommendations: Laura Mercier Lip Pencil in Deep Wine, Redwood or Very Cherry ($20); Mark. Make It Rich Lip Color Crayon in Royale ($11); Tom Ford Beauty Black Orchid Lipstick ($48) and Fresh Sugar Plum Tinted Lip Treatment ($22.50)
Read Related: Editor’s Beauty Picks for the Holidays
A simple everyday look with a twist. Believe it or not, this makeup is a great alternative for busy ladies, as you don’t need to be as precise as with other styles. Here’s how:
- Under-eye circles? Conceal those first!
- Then brush a neutral eyeshadow all over your lids.
- Using waterproof kohl eyeliner, draw a line around your eyes. It’s important to line inner rims as well.
- For a festive mood, line with gold, silver or any sparkly eyeshadow right below the black rim you just drew. Finish off with mascara.
Recommendations: Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Kohl Kajal Eyeliner Trio ($10.95); Bobbi Brown Powder Pearl Eye Trio ($46) and Covergirl LashBlast Volume Mascara ($7)
Adventurous girls can opt for eclectic, bright choices. This runway look can be easily recreated by adding your personal touch: neon hues if you feel vibrant or deep, deeper shades if you don’t want to step out of your comfort zone…or, what about colored mascaras? Subtle yet in for holidays. Here’s how:
- Stick to colors in the same family or, at the most, two different colors for a flashy effect.
- The classiest way to sport it is to line eyes a la cat.
- Always go for black mascara so your eyelashes won’t seem to disappear.
- Keep this kind of makeup glitter-free and don’t wear bold colors on both eyes and lips. Pick one!
- Not feeling this trend? Colored mascara’s made a comeback—but for the sake of simplicity choose “grown-up” options such as plum, dark blue or green.
Recommendations: Mally Beauty Starlight Eyeliner Library ($50); Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner in Diamond Turquoise Blue, Diamond Gold or Diamond Lagoon Green ($23); 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara in Blueberry ($18); MAC Cosmetics Zoom Lash Mascara in New Hue ($16)
Let’s say you really want to impress your family, friends or frenemies… You can’t go wrong with artsy makeup! Be aware that it has to be delicate, highlighting one feature at a time, and keeping the rest of your face clean. Here’s how:
- Possibilities are endless! From sequins to glammified fake eyelashes or two-tone lips… However, choose only one.
- To apply bling on your face, help yourself with tweezers and eyelash glue.
- Waterproof stencils and makeup are key.
- Practice, practice, practice. Master your look and correct any mistake days or weeks before the party.
- If you’re doing psychedelic eye makeup, stick with the rule of thumb: one or two colors, max.
Recommendations: Dior Grand Bal False Eyelashes ($28); My Diva’s Closet Glittery Jeweled Crystal Eyeliner ($12); MAC Cosmetics Pigments ($21); sequins, feathers, glitter and your imagination!