SPANISH FRIED RICE WITH BACON & PINEAPPLE
8 slices Smithfield Thick-Cut Cherry Smoked Bacon, cut to ½-inch pieces
1-8 oz. can pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve 2 Tbsps. of juice)
1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
6 cups cooked yellow rice, warm (leftover rice works best)
3 green onions finely diced
3 Tbsps. low sodium soy sauce
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat a large pan or wok over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until gold brown and crisp, during about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the bacon renderings and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add the pineapple and let it cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add warm rice and continue stirring and combining the ingredients together for another 3 minutes.
5. Add green onions, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of reserved pineapple juice, and black pepper and continue stirring.
6. Remove from heat stir in bacon, and serve immediately.
Recipes created by Chef Ana Quincoces. Photos courtesy of smithfield.com.