Nothing says sultry summer like a refreshing glass of pink lemonade. Using dried culinary hibiscus flowers (sometimes called flor de Jamaica or sorrel and not the same flower you see tucked behind ladies ears) adds a sophisticated spin that is perfect for a kiddo’s cooler and delicious spiked with rum for Mami!
If you are having a hard time finding hibiscus flowers, check near the bags of dried chile peppers—they have been spotted there. If that fails, six Red Zinger tea bags can be substituted in a pinch.
Read Related: Better Than Soda: Sweet Grapefruit Cherry Spritzer
Yield: 2 quarts
8 cups water
2 cups dried hibiscus flowers
2 c sugar (or more if you like it sweet)
Fresh lemon juice from 12 lemons
1 lemon, cut into thin rounds, for garnish
Dark rum, optional
- Heat the water on high to simmering in a stainless steel pot.
- Turn off the heat, add the hibiscus flowers, and let cool to room temperature.
- Strain into a large pitcher, discard the flowers.
- Stir in the sugar and the lemon juice.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Serve over ice with a lemon round and a straw for kids.
- For Mami, pour 1–2oz. dark rum over ice, then fill the glass with lemonade.
- Garnish with a lemon round and don’t mix up the glasses!