During the holiday season, we often think to help those in need, but don’t seem to have enough time, let alone energy, to take care of ourselves and our loved ones. To make it easier for you, the following are seven simple ways you can give during the holidays, and year-round:
1. Go online – At Stjude.org, you can easily donate for the research and treatment of cancer in children. Choose the amount, enter your information, and feel good about it!
Read Related: Stay Sane This Holiday Season By Helping Others
2. Volunteer at a soup kitchen – Visit Dosomething.org to find a soup kitchen near you. You can donate your time and be a food server, or be a part of the food delivery team. In some cases you can also donate food for the needy.
3. Adopt a classroom – At Adoptaclassroom.org, you can enter your ZIP code and find classrooms near you that need donations. Usually this is for children from low-income families, and classes are registered by teachers who want to make a difference. You may be surprised to find your own child´s classroom there.
4. Talk to your child´s teacher – Ask your child´s teacher if she knows of any children in the classroom who may need help. Then, prepare a holiday care package for them and turn it in anonymously. That way you will have the joy of giving to someone close to your own kid!
5. Adopt a pet – What better time of the year to adopt a pet than the holidays? Check out Adoptapet.com to find those closest to you! Your kids will be elated and you´ll be saving a cat or a dog´s life. Make sure you have the time to care for a new pet and are aware of the costs of pet ownership before you adopt, though.
6. Help a friend or a neighbor – Often, you don´t have to travel far to find people in need. As the holidays approach, tune in to cues from friends, neighbors and family. Sometimes pride may get in the way of people acknowledging they need help. Treat them to a nice dinner or gift them a VISA card they can use anywhere.
This article is one in a series sponsored by St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and dedicated to the spirit of giving to those in need, at the holidays and year round. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeat s childhood cancer and other deadly diseases. Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing and food – because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.