https://mamiverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Disciplining-Our-Children-Latino-amp-American-Style-MainPhoto.jpg 354 530 Dr. Tanginika Cuascud http://mamiverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/logosmallMamiverse-1.png Dr. Tanginika Cuascud2017-07-01 09:00:392017-07-01 19:11:14Disciplining Our Children: Latino & American Style
When I became a mother, I decided to blend the Boricua and American styles of parenting and disciplining to make my own rules. Here is what I have come up with.
- Rules are explained, but they are rules!
- There are things we negotiate, but I also have non-negotiables.
- I don’t yell, but I speak firmly and with a stern voice when I need to.
- I don’t use physical punishment, but I have given a flick every once in awhile.
- I understand that children are children and that they are learning and will make mistakes—and so will I!
- I do say please sometimes but not always. Sometimes my words are not a request, they are a command.
- I say thank you often and sometimes beforehand, meaning that it is the end of the discussion.