UPDATED November 14th, 2017
Are you looking for something new and inspiring to do with all those Thanksgiving leftovers? Our friends at Avocados From Mexico have shared with us a couple of creative alternatives for you to try. These recipes aren’t just for all that leftover turkey, but those side dishes as well. Simply by adding fresh avocados, you can make healthy dishes your family will love.
Read Related: Cooking With Holiday Meal Leftovers
LEFTOVER THANKSGIVING VEGGIE BURGERS
These easy to make nutrient-packed veggie burgers are spiced up with cumin and cilantro along with avocados. Serve on whole wheat or multi-grain buns along with your favorite condiments, lettuce, onion, and of course slices of avocado.
Makes: 6 servings
1½ cups cooked wild rice or brown rice (or rice stuffing)
¾ cup mashed potatoes
½ cup cooked green beans, chopped
1 large avocado from Mexico, pitted, peeled and mashed
2 tablespoons minced scallions
½ cup whole wheat panko crumbs or breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon cumin
1 egg white
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ teaspoon salt (if no salt used in mashed potatoes, green beans or rice)
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
1 large Avocado from Mexico, pitted, peeled and sliced
6 red onion slices
6 Romaine lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, add cooked rice, mashed potatoes, green beans, avocado, scallions, panko crumbs, cumin and egg white.
- Mix together with your hands and divide into six portions.
- Shape into six 3-inch patties that are approximately ½-inch thick.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Cook burgers for 5 minutes, flip and cook another 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove from skillet and keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
To serve, place each burger onto a bun and top with fresh avocado slices, red onion slices and Romaine leaves.
AVOCADO & CRANBERRY MUSTARD TURKEY WRAP
For a quick and easy lunch, these wraps are a great way to use up all those turkey leftovers in the fridge. The avocados make it even more nutritious, and the zesty cranberry mustard will have your kids craving these any time of the year.
Makes: 3 servings
6 10” whole wheat tortillas
1 cup cranberry mustard (see recipe below)
12 slices roast turkey6 slices Swiss cheese
3 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced lengthwise
Salt to taste
- Lay tortillas flat on a clean work surface.
- Spread the cranberry mustard equally among the tortillas.
- Lay two slices of turkey on each tortilla; cover turkey with a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Top the Swiss cheese with four slices of avocado on each and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Assemble wraps by folding in both sides and the bottom of each tortilla up over the filling, then roll to close.
To serve, cut in half crosswise or into 2-inch slices crosswise and arrange on a serving platter.
Makes: 1 Cup
½ cup Dijon mustard
½ cup cranberry sauce
Whisk together the Dijon mustard and cranberry sauce, then chill.
Courtesy: Avocados From Mexico.