Yields: 6 Servings
The base ingredients of an authentic mole can be grouped into five distinct categories:
• Sweet (dried fruits & sugar)
• Sour (tomatillos)
• Thickeners (nuts & tortillas)
These base ingredients are all roasted and ground into a paste or fine powder. If done by hand, like it is still traditionally done in Mexico, this process can be quite long and laborious. Nevertheless, whether you choose to do it by hand or not, make sure you get all your ingredients ready before you start cooking!
½-1 plantain, fried
8 pieces of chicken, any parts
4 oz chile mulato
3 oz chile pasilla
4½-5 oz unsalted almonds, toasted
2 oz raisins
1 medium yellow or white onion, julienne and sauté
1 oz dark semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 oz chile seeds, toasted
1 tortilla, sauté
½ bread roll, sauté or fried
1 tsp. fresh black pepper
¼ tsp. cloves, ground
1 tsp. cilantro seeds, toasted
1 tsp. anise seeds
3-4 cup chicken broth (cooking liquid from the bird)
10 garlic cloves, sauté, braised or roasted
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter or lard
Sea salt or kosher to taste (after adding broth)
Fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200º F.
2. In a large pot, cook chicken in enough water to cover the bird. (Save the cooking liquid for later.) Add parsley and season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, in a baking sheet toast the chiles in the oven for 10 minutes or until fragrant. (Don’t let them burn!) Remove from the oven, let them cool and grind in a coffee mill or grind using a mortar and pestle.
4. Using a blender, process the rest of the ingredients except for the butter, adjusting the consistency adding water or cooking liquid. Strain the mixture and set aside.
5. Using an earthenware pot over low heat, add the butter or lard and melt. Add the chiles and cook for 5-7 minutes.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the broth. Season to taste, combine and stir to blend for another 5-7 minutes. Add the broth; taste and season accordingly.
7. Add the chicken broth to the sauce and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let it cook stirring constantly for about 3-5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
8. Serve over chicken and/or with rice, and fresh lime on the side.