CHURROS WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE
For the Churros:
½ c granulated sugar
2 t ground cinnamon
2 c water
½ c diced butter
½ t salt
1 T baking powder
1 c pastry flour
Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a shallow plate, combine the sugar and cinnamon making sure it is evenly mixed and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, butter, salt, and sugar. Bring to full boil to melt the butter, stirring continuously to make sure the salt is dissolved and everything is well mixed.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the water on low speed, mixing slowly to get firm dough. Add eggs and mix until they are fully incorporate into the dough.
- Place the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- In a medium size sauce pan or deep fryer, add enough oil to have depth of at least two inches. Heat the oil to a temperature of 350°F. Line a large plate or baking sheet with paper towels.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with ½-inch star tip with the chilled dough. Carefully squeeze the dough into the heated oil making 5 inch long churros. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, using tongs to turn the churros. Transfer the churros to the paper towels to drain the excessive oil then dust the hot churros with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
For the Sauce:
2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1½ c heavy cream
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat bring the heavy cream to simmer.
- Add the chocolate chips stirring constantly until the chocolate has thoroughly melted.