Paella is not usually a quick cooking dish, taking upward of an hour and a quarter-particularly if you make it with Aborio rice, which takes its time. Not so anymore. With the change to long-grain rice basmati rice, and your trusty pal the microwave, you can now make paella in 30 minutes or less. Additionally, paella is often made with super allergenic ingredients, such as clam or fish broth and shellfish. I use a low-sodium chicken broth instead, and a highly flavorful chorizo sausage ensures you won’t miss those clams and shrimp one tiny bit.
Read Related: Paella Soup
CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE PAELLA
1 cup long grain basmati rice
2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound chicken tenders, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
3/8 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
8 ounces chorizo, andouille, linguica, or kielbasa, cut into ¼-inch-thick rounds
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
¼ teaspoon saffron, crushed
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
¾ cup frozen peas
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
1. Combine the rice with 1½ cups of the chicken broth in a microwave-safe container. Cover and microwave for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle the chicken tenders with the paprika and some salt and pepper.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until starting to shimmer.
4. Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
5. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add the onion and sausage and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
6. Add the bell pepper, garlic, saffron, oregano, and ¼ teaspoon of salt and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
7. Add the remaining 1 cup chicken broth, bring to a boil, and deglaze the pan by scraping up any browned bits along the bottom, 1 minute or so.
8. Stir in the tomatoes, partly cooked rice, and chicken, bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, loosely covered, for 8 minutes more or until the liquid is absorbed.
9. Add the peas and heat through for 2 minutes.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste, toss with the parsley, and serve hot, sprinkled with a little more parsley.