This savory cheese dip recipe features the classic combo of earthy broccoli and rich, tangy Cheddar. Like most cheese dips it’s best devoured immediately after it’s prepared, while the sauce is piping hot. Be sure to use mild Cheddar in this recipe since sharp Cheddars tend to get grainy when cooked in this type of sauce.
Read Related: Warm Jalapeño Cheese Dip
ROASTED BROCCOLI & CHEDDAR CHEESE DIP
Makes: 4 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
12 ounces broccoli florets
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbsp. (½ stick) unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 ½ cups half-and-half
8 ounces mild Cheddar, shredded (about 2 ½ cups)
4 ounces Monterey Jack, shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
Roasted potato wedges, toast points, crudites or potato chips, for serving
1. Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F.
2. Toss the broccoli florets with the oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper on a baking sheet and spread out in a single layer. Roast the broccoli until browned in parts and tender but not mushy, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Transfer the broccoli to a cutting board to cool. Coarsely chop the broccoli.
4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and stir until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook until the flour is lightly browned and has a paste-like consistency, 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the half-and-half and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture just comes to a bare simmer and has thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat and stir in the Cheddar and Monterey Jack until melted. Gently stir in the roasted broccoli and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Transfer to a serving dish and serve with roasted potato wedges or other dippers.