For as long as we can remember marrying George Clooney was a fantasy that only happened in our wildest dreams. That smile, those dimples, that salt and pepper hair…sigh. But now that he’s officially off the market we are far less interested in him, and far more enamored with his better half. Amal Alamuddin, George Clooney’s wife, has done nothing but impress the world with her grace, intelligence, success, class, style and elegance—even in the face of some pretty big idiots. And oh boy, have there been idiots. Like that moron who asked her what she was wearing when she was AT HER JOB, working on a genocide case in an Armenian courtroom. Her epic response? “Ede and Ravenscroft.” (PS, that is a company known for producing legal garments like the one she was wearing. Because, you know, she’s a lawyer.) See what we mean? Total class.
In a world where women are taking half-naked (or fully naked) selfies and becoming famous for breaking the internet, it is refreshing to see a strong, smart woman rule our newsfeed for being successful and finding love. Leave it to two of our favorite women, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, to say it perfectly…”Amal is a human rights lawyer who worked on the Enron case, was an adviser to Kofi Annan on Syria and was appointed to a three-person commission investigating rules of war violations in the Gaza strip,” Fey said. “So tonight her husband is getting a lifetime achievement award.” Here are 6 more reasons why George Clooney’s wife blows our minds (and probably why she won our crush’s heart).
1. She is Smart Like, Amal Clooney is REALLY smart. She was born in Lebanon, grew up in London, studied at Oxford and then received her law degree from the NYU School of Law. she is a respected human rights lawyer, has clerked for the International Court of Justice (for then-federal judge Sonia Sotomayor) and currently works as a high-profile barrister in London. How many women in the Hollywood spotlight can boast those accomplishments?
Read Related: 10 Reasons Why Some Women Make Better Bosses
2. She has Style Amal is gorgeous, that is a fact. Just look at her. But she also has an incredible sense of fashion, an eye for what looks good on her and an ability to look effortlessly chic whether she is in courtroom attire or wearing a flawless floral dress on her wedding weekend. And when so many celebrities are showing off skin to get attention, Mrs. Clooney keeps it classy and covered up, and we love that about her.
3. She has Sass When asked silly questions about her attire–while she is working on a case of Armenian genocide no less–she came up with the perfect sassy answer. She could have been rude or she could have simply answered the question, but she is smarter and sassier than that. Her response was perfect.
4. She Isn’t Afraid of a Challenge Clooney has taken on some incredibly high-profile human rights cases during her career. She’s not afraid of a challenge, and she is in high demand in her industry. She has represented Cambodia against Thailand in a territorial dispute at the International Court of Justice in the Hague, she is currently working to have the Elgin Marbles (famous statues taken from the Parthenon in 1816) returned to Greece, she was selected for a three-person U.N. commission investigating rules of war violations in the Gaza Strip (which she had to turn down due to too many prior commitments) and she has represented clients in tough cases such as Wikileaks founder Julian Assange and Kofi Annan. Like we said, she most certainly is not afraid of a challenge. Nailing down George Clooney is by far the easiest thing she has ever accomplished.
5. She is Cultured Amal Clooney speaks not one, not two, but THREE languages. She speaks English, French and Arabic fluently. Color us impressed.
6. She Isn’t Impressed by Superficial Hollywood Events We’re not going to lie and tell you we didn’t watch every second of the 72nd Annual Golden Globes awards show (and red carpet). We did. But you know who was less impressed by all the Hollywood glitz and glamour? Our friend Amal Clooney, who looked somewhat bored throughout the red carpet hoopla and ceremony. And she wasn’t rude by any means; she just looked like she had other, more important things on her mind. Like say, saving the world. Props to her for being bigger than a ball gown.