There’s nothing more comforting than to start off your day with a bowl of your favorite cereal, as the healthy ones are usually filled with great sources of whole grain foods. Well there’s another way you can put that box to use: crunchy meatballs. This one-pot comfort dish combines meat, rice and crushed cereal for a new take on a classic recipe. These are not your typical mini-meatballs, one per person is plenty. But rest assured, this is one of our favorite whole grain recipes, hands down.
Read Related: Saucy Parmesan Meatballs for National Meatball Day
WHOLE GRAIN PORCUPINE MEATBALLS
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Makes: 8 large meatballs; 1 each
⅔ cup milk
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 can (3.8 oz.) sliced ripe olives, drained
1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Whole Grain Honey Crunch cereal
1 tsp. salt
½ Tbsp. paprika
¼ tsp. onion powder
⅛ tsp. garlic powder
⅛ tsp. pepper
1 pound ground round beef, 90% lean/10% fat
1 can (14.5 ounces) petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups water
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 beef bouillon cube
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a food processor, grind cereal into a fine powder.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
4. Stir in rice, olives, ground cereal, salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder & pepper. Stir to combine.
5. Crumble ground round into rice mixture. Stir or use your hands to combine ingredients & mix well.
6. Form beef mixture into 8 large equal-sized meatballs. Place meatballs in a 2-quart baking dish &
7. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together the tomatoes, water, cornstarch, bouillon cube & marjoram. Bring to a boil and stir for one minute.
8. Remove from heat and pour over meatballs in pan.
9. Cover baking dish with lid or aluminum foil and bake for 1½ hours.
Recipe & photo courtesy Honey Bunches of Oats